When you ask a Behavior Analyst what ABA is, they could give you a lengthy explanation of the science they have chosen to build a career on. The challenge is to describe ABA in clear and simple terms without all the jargon. Here is the explanation we believe our clients deserve:
“Our children are communicating with us. ABA will educate a parent to understand what their child is saying, and aide the child to develop ways to communicate for their parent to understand”
Despite the extensive research there is to show how effective Applied Behavior Analysis is, it is still a science that has been criticized by many since some of their earliest versions used some punishing procedures, which of course are no longer being used. Just like any science, ABA too has grown and diverted from its original protocols. Current research would demonstrate that ABA has abandoned punishment procedures and adapted a more compassionate and gentle approach. Here at IRBS, that is the path that we have chosen to take.
But don’t just take our word for it. Here is a list of journal articles to prove it!
A Parent’s Perspective
Shannon Penrod was a teacher, actress, and award-winning stand-up comedienne when her son was diagnosed with Autism at the age of 2 1/2. Like many parents Shannon and her husband began a mission of helping their son reach his highest potential. Shannon enjoys speaking to parents, self-advocates and professionals around the world.
Autism Live hosted by Shannon Penrod is an interactive web show providing support, resources, information, facts, entertainment and inspiration to parents, teachers and practitioners working with children on the Autism Spectrum.
In Shannon’s attempt to empower other parents to meet all the challenges and triumphs of their journey, Ms. Shannon wrote a book in which she shares her experience as a parent of an individual with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
When In a Waitlist
We understand that waitlists can be lengthy. During your wait time, you may explore the following resources available to you immediately.
- The Washington State Health Care Authority has a comprehensive list of Centers of Excellence for Autism
- JBLM Center for Autism Resources, Education and Services (CARES)
- Family Training for De-escalating Challenging Behaviors
- Paid Training FOR PARENTS to become Registered Behavior Technicians (RBT)
- Financial Support – Ben’s Fund
- Autism Guidebook for Washington State
- Washington State Resources
- Emergency Preparedness Checklists
- Autism Support Groups
- Seattle Children’s Autism Center
- Free Learning Modules for Parents
- Learn the Signs. Act Early!
- Autism Speaks
- Recorded Lectures